Hitting London in high heels

Monday, November 05, 2007

31 Months in...and will she ever go home?

So here we are at the 31 month mark, can you believe it? I have lived in London for 31 months. I would call that an achievement for a girl who grew up in Hobart in a safe and secure little suburb with her loving family taking care of her.


London and I have a love hate relationship.


I'm not going to lie, there have been months when I have struggled to find a reason to stay. Having experienced a non existent summer we are now entering the winter months and it doesn't seem fair. Where was the summer sun? The bars are all throwing 'Goodbye to the summer that never was' parties!'

Now I am waking up in darkness, working in an office which cannot seem to set the heating to the correct temperature and watching as the sky grows dark at 5 once again..

I wonder what I am doing when every morning I have to hop onto a crowded train to travel 6 stops with a lady pressing her oversized handbag into my back THEN shuffling off the train and getting dragged along by the crowd, only to board a tube to travel a further 10 stops...they are the moments I wonder why living here is a choice I have made!

But then I have to remind myself. Living in London has changed my life. For the better.

I have met so many amazing people in my time here from all walks of life. Saffas, Kiwis, fellow Aussies - to round off the antipodean quarter…..hilarious English people that show me that they really are a funny bunch with a wicked sense of humour…Polish ….French, Italian, and Spanish men and women - who ooze style and class…it is a breeding ground for all the different cultures which is a beautiful thing …something I would never have fully experienced in Australia. (John Howard to thank for that perhaps?) I have made a hand picked selection of wonderful friends and I have met my love - Mark.

And best of all? Whenever I think of coming home I remember one thing. I have my whole life to live in Australia. I have the luxury of dual citizenship and while I have that luxury I am sure as hell gonna make use of it. Prague, Amsterdam, Switzerland…I wanna see 'em all…

….so a smelly hour long tube rides and darkness in the afternoon? I can handle it if it means I get to live in London….for now…

Rachixx

5 Comments:

  • At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks to today’s hi-tech world, now you can order bespoke suits and shirts online too. Surprised! Well check out our measuring guide and the order online section and you will know how easy it is. But of course if you prefer the traditional way then one of our representatives who are scattered around the world could visit you & take your measurements.

    We are based in Hong Kong and has been providing custom made suits & shirts since 1997. All our suits and shirts are sewn with extreme attention to detail and finish, often using time-consuming, hand-executed techniques by highly skilled Shanghainese tailors in Hong Kong and delivered in about 4 weeks, express delivery can be made in 2 weeks at a minor extra cost. In case you are not able to find what you are looking for then please let us know your requirement may it be in words or by a photograph and we could arrange it for you.

    Experience an easier way of shopping for bespoke suits & shirts at Euro Tailors

    Kenny Surtani

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i actually love your posting way, very useful.
    don't quit and also keep penning because it simply just very well worth to read it,
    excited to browse through far more of your current content, have a good one :)

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Making money on the internet is easy in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat seo techniques[/URL], You are far from alone if you haven’t heard of it before. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or not-so-known methods to generate an income online.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good article. Thank you.
    http://www.box.net/shared/kp0eyumkcm

     
  • At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Order Anti-Depressants said…

    This is good site to spent time on.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home