Hitting London in high heels

Friday, July 13, 2007

Chianti on the Grand Canal....

I could not have asked for a better way to spend my 25 birthday…
VENICE!



It was everything I expected and so much more. We arrived by boat to our destination at around 10pm after an amazing hour long ride from the airport, our heads dizzy with excitement and eyes wide. Our destination? Arsenale (pronounced ARSE-AN-AR-LAY not Arsenal like the football team.) When Mum pronounced it as the latter she was loudly corrected by a proud Italian!



Our hotel was tucked away in one of the tiny little alleyways, a beautiful 3 star hotel with a tiny red carpet at the front door (put out for me no doubt…) After freshening up we were famished and decided to stay local. We ended up in a quaint little restaurant where I feasted on seafood pasta and my new favourite red - Chianti. Ah bliss…




The next day we decided it was time to explore the sites. The heat was quite oppressive as we made our way through the busy streets to St Marks Square. As I gazed up at the cathedral, my hair shining from my new Sunsilk for blondes I felt a splat, then a cold sensation at the top of my head. A pigeon had popped one on my head! Mum and Mark saw the funny side but I was absolutely livid!



We spent the next few days in some fabulous restaurants and I have to say, had some of the most enjoyable and tasty meals of my life! A highlight was definitely dinner on the Grand Canal. We were seated outside in the late evening sun. After enjoying a delicious steak and more red (easily the best steak I have ever tasted) we heard a few rumbles in the sky. We looked out when suddenly a freak thunderstorm hit! Everyone tried in vain not to get wet, holding table napkins and menus as protective shields over themselves. It was amazing to watch the lightening light up the sky as a man ran around trying to sell everyone umbrellas. Luckily the rain subsided and we were able to leave without getting drenched.




Another highlight was a day on the beach in Lido. It wasn't as busy as the beach in Barcelona and it was surrounded by a street full of beautiful restaurants where you could sit outside and have a beer or three. Mark and I spent many hours after our swim chilling out there. Pure bliss…




I also FINALLY got the designer wallet I had always wanted from my folks. A beautiful black Coccinelle wallet with a buckle strap. Mark bought me an amazing Giorgio Armani watch, perfume and tickets to none other than John Butler Trio (for the 6th time and third over here!) Lucky girl…we dined in a place we had gone to twice which had become our official favourite for taste and value for money - La Nuova Perla. I even had my own personal accordian player play Happy Birthday! What a blast.




For anyone that hasn't been, I thoroughly recommend it for the food, wine and atmosphere!

Rachix

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home