Hitting London in high heels

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

SnOwBaLLs

On Easter Saturday we all piled into a big 10 seater van, excited by the prospect of our snow extravaganza! We arrived in style at the extraordinarily beautiful chalet Courchevel in France after a three hour drive from the airport. The sun was shining and the mountains were covered in snow.

We made ourselves comfortable in our bunk bedded rooms then settled into the chalet. We had two hosts who were around the 24-25 age mark and worked at the chalet for five months of the year. It was their final week and you could tell they were feeling the strain of looking after 10 people every week. They would cook our breakfast and dinner and have an afternoon snack consisting of baguettes, coffee and tea cake ready for us everyday (a welcome sight after 6 hours on the slopes.) Dinner consisted of anything from a Caribbean themed chicken dish to a french specialty.

My first day on the slopes started out well, the girls showed me how to stop and I found that starting wasn't too complicated (it is slippery on the piste after all!) I ended up mastering the green slopes and had grown to love riding up on the pommel looking out over the mountains (a plastic plate that you put between your legs to drag you uphill on the snow.)

I was feeling super confident up until 5pm when Mark decided to take me on 'the shortcut' home. BIG MISTAKE! We ended up on the steepest blue run of all and I ended up crying all the way down, sliding backwards and cursing Mark for taking me down such a steep slope on my very first day!


Having gotten over my dramatic first day the next few days were heaven. We would ski for hours on end, have lunch at some lovely cafes, sipping red wine in the sunshine.
By the third day I had mastered getting on and off the chair lift which is actually easier than it looks! I stuck with the girls for most of the trip as the boys were all snowboarding but by our last perfect day we hit some massive slopes all together, taking videos and photos as we went.
On the final evening we headed down to the local ski bar where we had a selection of dangerous concoctions and toasted to one of the most amazing trips ever!

I'll never forget our trip and my 10 ski buddies: Kaine-it, Claire Polar Bear, Narctic, Lance Mountain, Fast Laine, Charlie Chilled, Marc-ski, G.I. Snow, Sleet Kid and me - Tuff Stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home