Hitting London in high heels

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Terrorist Attack

Firstly, obviously, I'm fine. But it means so much to know that people have been phoning and texting my home in Hobart and finding out if I'm okay. Really appreciated.

The atmosphere is one of pure shock and anger. Initially it was thought to be a power surge but now its confirmed as a terrorist attack. It's something that you don't expect and really can't prepare for. Its always in the back of your mind, being a major city and everything but I honestly didn't expect it. I had been running late this morning and got off my tube at 8:40am and the attacks began at 8:50am. That really is the most surreal feeling. You can't prevent fate, if something was supposed to happen to me on that tube it would have.

The update so far is that 2 have been killed at the Aldgate Station, with many, many more injured. The locations are so varied and very much aimed at the centre of London in the financial district. There was a suicide bomber on one bus and the images coming through on the television are simply frightening. I cannot imagine being stuck on the underground. It is the most confined space at the best of times, getting stuck down there would be horrific. It's strange recognising all the areas I've recently visited. I've been texting all my friends over here and everyone seems to be fine.

My first thought was 'how is mum feeling?' Knowing my family is so far away is hard because all they have to rely on are updates from the television. So immediately I emailed and spoke to my grandma who phoned mum for me. I've since spoken to Mum on the phone and reassured her that I'm fine.

I feel comforted at work, everyone is teaming together and just hanging around the televisions, catching all the updates. Being Channel Four we are surrounded by televisions and no one can draw themselves away from them. All public transport has been put on hold so I don't know how I'll get home tonight. I think I'll either stay at work or leave with a workmate. They are closing off all the major streets and all cabs are banked up with hundreds lined up waiting for any available ones.

Will update when I get a free moment.

Take care everyone, lots of love rachixx

2 Comments:

  • At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    keep telling us rache ... what are people saying. is it scary

     
  • At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    tell us more rache.
    I'd love to hear it from someone on the street, rather the official news releases.
    What's the feeling, the talk, the atmosphere?
    from tasmanian cousin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home